Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Last Day

Just a note, I did two posts today so make sure you check all the pics we uploaded.
We can't believe that we are heading home tomorrow. I think we all have mixed emotions about leaving Guatemala. Some don't want to go back to school, some can't wait to see their son, some can't wait to have a nice hot shower, some feel guilty for being able to be leave the poverty, some would love to bring about 10 kids along home, some think their families are the right size, but we all agree that the trip was well worth it and would do it all over again. I know none of us will soon forget the sights, smells, and especially the people we have seen in Guatemala.
Today was a very relaxing day. We headed for Antigua this morning. Our mission.....find souvenirs. We were successful and everyone left happy which says alot since we had two men and 4 kids with us. Antigua is an old town with lots of character. The streets are cobblestone and the buildings look worn. It was interesting just walking the streets.
We headed back to the city and met about 10 kids from Hannah's Hope at the city zoo. They ranged in age from 2-9. We had a lot of fun with them. I am sorry we can't post pics of this...we got alot of adorable shots, but we can't post their pics if they are in the adoption process and we don't know which kids are or aren't. After the zoo we headed back to the guest house and we made supper for the kids and their 3 caretakers or Special Mothers. We were to make them a typical American meal but we went Italian instead. We had spaghetti, garlic bread, and Rice Krispy treats. They loved the meal. It actually did taste good to me to have a home cooked meal again. We watched a movie, in Spanish with them and ate popcorn and then they were off to bed. They are all so sweet and we got lots of hugs and Gracias from them. It is so hard as a parent to imagine giving up such sweet kids but things are so different down here that I think for alot of these kids they are better off here. If it were easy I think we would fill up the whole plane and bring them with us.
So I guess this trip is winding down. Thanks for "traveling" with us. I know we learned alot and hopefully through "traveling" with us you have also felt led to show compassion to those that are not as blessed as us. This trip has been humbling for me when I think how much I take for granted and how discontent I can be when so many aren't even able to meet basic needs. So I hope that I remember to be grateful and that I will continue to reach out to those in need. I certainly don't need to travel to another country, or county, or even town to find someone in need.
We hope to see you soon and we can't wait to tell you more about our trip.

Blessings,
Karen

No comments: